Updated: Oct 23
Who doesn't love a good black bean meetball?! These meetballs are flavorful, scrumptious and super easy to make. You can definitely make them in advance and store them in the freezer for later use. I know for me, I make them in advance and when I'm feeling a bit lazy and not really in the mood to make a big meal for the family, I just grab a few of these from the freezer and add them to sauce and BAM dinner is ready!
There is so much you can do with these meetballs. They are really good on their own but you can pair them with pasta and your favorite marinara sauce, add in BBQ sauce with mac n cheese or even as a meetball parm sub sandwich! How delicious would that be - add some vegan mozzarella, melt it and BAM - there it is! I feel like Emeril Lagasse - "BAM"... LOL
If you try this recipe, leave a comment, tag us in your photo on IG / FB- would love to see your creation!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Total Time 60 minutes
Author: Tee (CheChe's Vegan)
Vegan BlackBean Meetball
- 1 cup cooked and cooled quinoa (be sure it's cooked & completely cooled before using)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans* (rinsed, drained, dried)
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 C diced onion
- 1/2 C of chopped red and green peppers
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried or fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried or fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 C rolled oats (ground/blended)
- 1/2 C planko breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat oven 425 degrees
2. Heat tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Lower heat if necessary to prevent burning. Then add all the spices, red/green peppers, sea salt, and ground black pepper (but not basil) and cook for another minute.
3. Remove this mixture from the pan into the food processor, add black beans and pulse until loose (DON'T overmix - make sure some of the beans are still whole).
4. Add cooked/cooled quinoa and fresh basil . Pulse to combine until a textured dough forms (you're not looking for a purée, make sure it's still a bit chunky)
5. Remove and add to a bowl, stir in breadcrumb & grounded oats until combined
6. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt for saltiness, herbs /depth of flavor. If it’s too wet, add more breadcrumb.
7. Form 1 1/2-inch balls with your hands (gently) and set meetballs on a plate and add to fridge for at least 15 minutes to firm up before pan frying.
8. Heat skillet with oil, once hot, place meetballs just slightly spaced apart and brown on one side for about 1 to 2 minutes. Do not overcrowd. Flip and brown the other side.
9. Transfer to a oven safe baking dish or skillet and bake in oven for 15 minutes. These meatballs are delicious as is or you can add your favorite marinara sauce with pasta and vegan parmesan cheese.
Prepare mixture in advance and store in fridge to cut back on prep time
Leftover meatballs keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator or 1 month in the freezer. Reheat in the microwave or in a 375-degree F (190 C) oven until warmed through.
101 views2 comments